maanantai 25. kesäkuuta 2018

KonMari, I choose you!

…and I hope it will be super effective!

It's not a secret that I'm a very disorganized person. Whenever I get to know new people, I try to make myself look organized and… well, a person that has her life together! However, I have always had difficulties when it comes to keeping my room/flat tidy. It's mostly books and papers everywhere, and I know exactly where everything is. An organized chaos! I remember 4 years ago when my Sardinian ex-boyfriend came to visit me – he entered my flat and said: "Hmm… I think I have seen this before! Oh, nevermind, it was a documentary about the tsunami in 2011." :D


I have been hearing about KonMari from my friends and my mom for a while now, and during my visit in Finland last month I decided to take a look at the book and see what the fuss is about. I read about halfway through (and spotted only one error – I have a very bad habit of proofreading all Finnish text I see) and was quite convinced. I bought the book, as it happened to be on sale, and now I'm going to try to KonMari the shit out of apply the method in my flat.

Me with my crap in Reykjavík in May 2008.

Basically, the KonMari rules are these:
  1. Commit yourself to tidying up. (I've never been this committed. Stop laughing!)
  2. Imagine your ideal lifestyle. (In Barcelona? Alright...)
  3. Finish discarding first. (Meaning that you can't buy anything new before you've discarded everything.)
  4. Tidy by category; not by location. (Instead of starting from the bedroom you have to start with clothing.)
  5. Follow the right order. (There is a strict order, starting from clothing – tops and bottoms, dresses, pyjamas and so on.)
  6. Ask yourself it if sparks joy. (The ultimate question. If something doesn't spark joy, you need to thank it and then discard it.)
Someone said that going through the whole house might take 6 months. I really hope mine won't take that long! To be honest, I know I will discard most of my clothes and it won't take that long, but with books it won't be that easy – I just counted that I have 102 books plus some small dictionaries. 102!? Not looking forward to that part… Wish me luck!

Me with my crap in Harrisonburg, VA in August 2008.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti