torstai 14. kesäkuuta 2018

Hello culture shock, my old friend

I flew back to Barcelona two days ago and I'm quite annoyed about many things – I always get a minor culture shock when I come back here... but to be honest, I get it when I go to Finland, too. I'm not accustomed to hearing Finnish that often or having so much personal space! :D

Anyways, I know this phase will pass, it always does. I've never been a fan of Barcelona, I've never liked living here, but I guess I've grown to tolerate it especially now that I don't have to go to the city center every day. On Tuesday, after traveling for 12 hours (Turku–Helsinki–Copenhagen–Barcelona) and not having slept the night before, I was exhausted and took an accidental nap of 12 hours. I had planned on going to a weekly Esperanto meeting in Gràcia, but instead of waking up at 6pm I was fast asleep until 4am! I decided to sleep a bit more, and in the end I woke up at 9am, after 17 hours of sleep. It helped me a lot, I wasn't nearly as annoyed as before it. Then luckily I had a 27,000-word text to revise, it kept me busy and entertained.

I guess the only place where the culture shock doesn't hit me is Italy – or maybe I'm just in a perpetual honeymoon stage whenever I go there. When I lived in Iceland (2006–2012) I had such a hard time with the shock that I sometimes decided not to go to Finland to see my family because I knew how difficult it would be to go back to Iceland – just the thought of returning made me extremely anxious. Now I'm more relaxed about the whole thing, as the flights from here to Finland are relatively cheap (much cheaper than from Iceland!) and because I can go pretty much whenever I want as long as I bring my laptop with me.

There's one good thing about being back: getting back to the routine. As a freelancer I usually work from home, and here I can concentrate much better – I get a lot of things done at my mom's place, too, but usually I'd rather just talk with her or cuddle with Susu the dog. And I like my flat, especially now that it's still not boiling hot inside!

I also might have brought almost 20kg of food from Finland with me... I think I'll have some salmon soup and rye bread for dinner. Fins ara!

A photo from January, Susu was helping me with proofreading.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti